Monday, April 19, 2021

Sol 8: Scrivener Setup

As I mentioned back on Sol 3, I've been sorting out my tools. This includes setting up my Scrivener space as per Joseph Michael's Prewriting in Scrivener seminar. 

Well, I've finally declared it done. 

It's been fun (and arguably useful from a mood-setting perspective), but one has to stop somewhere.

My scrivener workspace (cork board) now looks like this:

And composition mode (which, admittedly is intended to be clutter-free to minimise distractions) looks like this:

 

That is, indeed, Mark Watney sitting there, no doubt resting after a hard day of shovelling sh*t.

I selected the colour scheme based on a couple of photos of mars. I used Pixelmator Pro to sample the four 'best' complementary colours as #hexadecimals and varied them slightly from time to time. These include:

#2B4553 (very dark desaturated blue), taken from a crater in deep shadow

#693D3D (very dark desaturated red)

#BA5536 (moderate red)

#A43820 (dark red)

Along with an extra 'very soft orange' thrown in (#FEE1B5)

Here they are, lined up beside each other: 




 

As far as fonts are concerned, I've used two.

I've used 'Planetium' in the Binder (the blue vertical panel on the left side of the first screen shot) and as the document status stamp in the cork board (e.g. the 'To Do' status, also shown in the first screen shot). It's a pleasant 'sci-fi' style font that's also relatively easy to read (which is more than I can say for most of the futuristic fonts I've surveyed).



All other text is in 'Georgia' precisely because it is easy to read on screen.



It's been fun, but now it's time to move on. As Mark might've said, 'Those potatoes won't grow themselves.'



No comments:

Post a Comment

Premise

In my last blog entry, I examined what a logline is and developed a working logline for the book. Reading further on what Graeme Simsion has...